Hey! I hope your heart and body are well as you read this. It’s been a minute since the last blog. I know, I know, I need to be more consistent. But family, hasn’t 2020 been a handful?! I have been going with the flow while also making my mental health a top priority. I know we are all coping in our own ways with this new reality, and saying that it’s difficult is an understatement. I have been challenging myself to find something that brings me joy every day even if it’s something small. It has been very helpful during this time. We still have six months left in 2020, so let’s make the best of it!
So the reason why you’re here. Essential oils. You’ve got some at home or you’re planning to buy some soon and don’t know what to do with them. Fear not, I gotchu.
I have noticed the interest in holistic wellness increase since COVID-19 began. To be honest, I am ecstatic that you are all here! I’ve received a lot of questions on social media about how to use essential oils at home. Before you get started, I encourage you to check out my other blog on aromatherapy safety tips to get a basic understanding of how to use essential oils safely and to your benefit.
There are many ways that you can incorporate essential oil’s into your daily practice. One of my missions for the Diviiine ‘Scense is to make sure holistic wellness (in this case aromatherapy) is accessible to all who choose to use it. Below I have created a list of 9 ways for you to incorporate essential oil’s at home. Some may sound familiar. If so congrats you’re already on your way! Let me know in what ways you practice wellness at home.
- Inhalation Therapy- Sounds complicated right? It’s not. Simply open the bottle and take a whiff or fan the essential oil in your direction with your hand. From personal experience, it may help if you need a quick pick me up.
- Shower Diffusion- This is one of the more common way to use essential oils. Take your favorite oil put anywhere from 6-12 drops in the shower as the water is running and hop in.
- Fabric Dryer Sheets- I do this often! Take a paper towel of your favorite smelling essential oil, I like to use sweet orange because I love citrus. Put 5 drops on a paper towel then put into the dryer with your clothes. When you take your clothes out of the dryer, they’ll be smelling good!
- Bath Soak- One of my personal favorites I like to put few (4) drops of essential oils in my bath along with other herbs during the new moon and full moon as way to release and cleanse the spirit and aura. Sink innnnto it! I also throw A few rose petals in because why not?!
- In A Diffuser- Another common way to use essential oils. It’s very relaxing and depending on the size of the diffuser you get ,you can have your whole house smelling amazing. I recommend that you use A diffuser continuously for no more than an hour at a time.
- Mix in hair products- Hunny, let me tell you. Tea Tree Essential oil is the truth. From personal experience, It has helped me with both dry scalp and dandruff. A simple way to use this is to add a few (3-4) drops to your shampoo when you wash your hair. Also when you are oiling your scalp with your carrier oil of choice, you can add in a few drops as well.
- Homemade Fabric Freshener- Take a 4 oz spray bottle, fill it with distilled water, add your desired essential oil with 6 to 10 drops. Also add in a little bit of baking soda. I don’t measure, I let my ancestors guide me. Then get to spraying!
- Hay Fever/ Allergies- A quick little home remedy that I have done in the past when my allergies get out of control or I am in a dusty environment and I am unable to leave. I would take a tissue put two drops of lavender essential oil and two drops of eucalyptus. Every time I felt a sneeze fest coming on, I would put the tissue to my nose and inhale it.
- On The Skin- Essential oils have different properties so it’s best to research based on your needs. Use the carrier oil(Safflower, Jojoba, Olive, Almond, etc) of your choice, mix in 2 to 3 drops of essential oil and apply to your skin.
That’s it! I hope that some of these are able to help you in your Aromatherapy journey! Please share with others who you feel may benefit!